If you are dreading the summer months due to the heat and high energy costs, you are not alone. Many homeowners in Northeastern PA find themselves trying to hold on to the spring weather, dreading those big cooling bills. There are ways you can keep your home comfortable while reducing these costs.Check out the following tips below from T.E. Spall & Son.
Tips to Help You Save on Your Cooling Bills
Many of these hints or tricks cost little to no money and are quick fixes that can see you enjoy summer just that little bit more.
- Blackout Blinds and Curtains. Blackout blinds and curtains are a great way to block the sun and its heat from entering your home. Keep curtains and blinds drawn when the sun is at it’s hottest to help reduce heat building in your home.
- Ceiling Fans. Ceiling fans are a great way to get more air flow in your home. When air is stagnant it feels warmer. Ceiling fans help rotate the air and also help push the cold air your AC is blowing back into the room.
- Turn Up Your Thermostat. Turning up your thermostat just one to two degrees can save you a significant amount of money on your cooling bills. A programmable thermostat is even better, you can turn the thermostat up when no one is home then have it set to cool the house off before you get home from work.
- Get Moisture Levels Under Control. If your home is too humid or it doesn’t have enough humidity you will be left feeling uncomfortable. Getting your humidity levels under control by using equipment such as a humidifier or dehumidifier can help you feel more comfortable without having to touch the thermostat dial.
- Create Air Flow. If you have a two-story home, it can be hard to keep the upper level cool. Blowing a strong fan from the bottom of the stairs up into the top level can help significantly. If the AC is not on, you can open windows upstairs to help pull the air through.
- Have Your AC System Maintained. A well tuned AC system will work more efficiently and more effectively. You should have your system maintained at least once a year.
- Replace Your Old AC System. If you have an old AC system you may find that it can no longer cool your home effectively. A new energy efficient AC unit will be able to keep your home comfortable and save you money in the long run.
If you are looking to save money this summer on your cooling costs, the team at T.E. Spall & Son can help. We offer a full range of heating and cooling services, including maintenance and installation. Call us today for more ideas on how you can stay comfortable this summer without the high cooling costs.